The Best Morning and Evening Skin Care Routines
Do you ever wonder why you need a different cream for the morning and the evening? Or wonder about when you should apply your serum? And do you need to cleanse your skin in the am and in the pm?
Here are our recommendations and explanations for your best morning and evening skin care routines.
The goal of your morning skin care routine is to prepare your skin for the day and protect it from the environment (sun, pollution).
- Cleanser: If you washed your skin thoroughly the evening prior, it is not necessary to wash your skin again in the morning. A splash of lukewarm water can suffice. However, if you like to cleanse twice a day, use a gentler cleanser in the morning to not strip your face of its natural oils. Our recommendation: Gentle Cream Cleanser.
- Eye cream: A lightweight eye cream that reduces puffiness left over from sleeping is a great way to reduce the look of fatigue. Our recommendation: Tightening Eye Gel.
- Serum: If you wish to add a treatment step in the morning, make sure to use a serum that does not make your skin more photo-sensitive. No vitamin C or retinol in the morning. Look for serums featuring antioxidants or hyaluronic acid. Our recommendation: Pigment Perfecting Serum.
- Moisturizer: Even if you are not planning on spending any time outside, it is essential to use a moisturizer that contains sun protection (just in case you have an unexpected errand to run or are sitting by the window all day). Our recommendation: Protective Day Cream SPF23.
The goal of your evening skin care routine is to repair the day’s damage, treat the skin, and facilitate beauty sleep.
- Cleanser: You must wash the day off your face, every evening, no matter how tired you are. This is true whether or not you wore makeup that day. We love an active cleanser in the evening, which will leave your skin perfectly prepped for treatment. Our recommendation: Purifying Gel Cleanser.
- Eye cream: This is your opportunity to hydrate this delicate area with a richer texture (as you are not layering makeup and a little shine won’t matter). Our recommendation: Rejuvenating Eye Balm.
- Serum: A high-performance serum is perfect for the evening, as your skin repair’s itself during sleep. This is also the time to use serums with ingredients that make your skin more sensitive to the sun. Think retinol and vitamin C. Our recommendation: Advanced Retinol Serum.
- Spot treatment: If you have blemishes or pimples, the evening is a great time to apply antibacterial, antiseptic products that will help to clear your skin. Our recommendation: Kantic Light Clarifying Cream.
- Moisturizer: No SPF protection needed in the evening! This is the time to treat and nourish the skin. Look for heavier creams and anti-aging, collagen-boosting ingredients. Our recommendation: Kantic+ Nourishing Cream.
- Extra credit: If you feel that your skin needs a little extra TLC, this is the time to apply a facial oil or overnight mask. Our recommendation: Kantic Brightening Moisture Mask.
Finally, if once or twice per week you like to do a mini facial at home (think exfoliator and mask), you can do this either in the morning or evening, as your schedule permits.