If you’re looking for an ingredient that is nourishing and balancing, antibacterial, antioxidant, and anti-inflammatory, look no further, and meet Jojoba. Here are eight reasons why your skin is going to fall in love with Jojoba.
- This “oil” is actually a liquid ester, cold-pressed and filtered from the Simmondsia chinensis (Jojoba) plant, which makes it very close to human sebum in chemical composition – and therein lies the magic. This biomimetic property means that jojoba can penetrate deep into the skin for maximum nourishment while simultaneously controlling oil production. In other words, jojoba actually helps balance the skin’s existing sebum levels – thus making it the perfect hydrator for all skin types, from dry to oily.
- Because jojoba “oil” is actually not an “oil” (not a triglyceride), it is lighter and less greasy in consistency than most other oils. This is what gives jojoba-based products their dreamy texture.
- It acts as a (non greasy) protective shield on the skin, helping restore the skin’s natural barrier function.
- It is packed with antioxidant powerhouse vitamin E for anti-aging and hydrating benefits.
- It has antibacterial properties to help fight bacteria proliferation and minimize blemishes.
- It helps to minimize the look of fine lines and wrinkles thanks to the free-radical fighting vitamin B complex it contains.
- It is non comedogenic and thus perfect for oily and acne-prone skin types.
- It is hypoallergenic and thus perfect for sensitive or sensitized skin types.