Most of us get brown spots. Some call them sun spots, some call them age spots. What we mean are spots on our faces and bodies that are more pigmented than our base complexion. And yes, this happens regardless of skin tone.
What are these dark spots? These spots are created by excess melanin production, and usually triggered by the sun, by hormones (aka “pregnancy mask”), or by trauma (scars, for example post-acne hyperpigmentation).
The best way to treat dark spots is to prevent dark spots. Here are a few things you can do to help maintain a bright, even complexion is to SPF 20+ daily, on your face but also on the neck, décolleté, arms and hands.
If you are looking to correct or fade dark, brown spots, here are some ingredients to look for: niacinamide, arbutin, vitamin C, azelaic acid, acetylglucosamine and licorice root extract. Note that hydroquinone, while very effective to bleach the skin, is not on our list of “clean ingredients.”
Within our brand, we recommend our Pigment lightening serum, which beauty entrepreneur and amazing makeup artist Gucci Westman recently added to her beauty routine as a product to also help with inflammation and redness.
Here is the cocktail of ingredients that makes this product great at both preventing and correcting dark spots, evening out your complexion, all in a formulation that is suite to all skin types and all skin tones.
- Alpha-arbutin has a powerful brightening effect, and unlike other skin brighteners, is not irritating. It helps to both prevent and correct brown spots and promotes an even complexion.
- Vitamin C is the ultimate ingredient for achieving brightening and antioxidant effects and treats age spots from sun damage by healing cells that are sunburnt and damaged. This antioxidant vitamin is also a critical determinant of skin’s resilience, which significantly is reduced as we age. Vitamin C is a potent agent in minimizing fine lines and wrinkles as it stimulates the skin’s collagen and elasticity systems.
- Citrus is an ingredient that has anti-brown spot and complexion brightening properties, making it ideal in the treatment of pigmentation and uneven skin tone. It also reduces free radical production and helps to prevent signs of skin aging.
- Hop strobile provides brightening effects by decreasing hyper-pigmentation and irregularities caused by sun, stress and aging.
- Green tea (photoprotective properties, anti-brown spots effects) has numerous benefits when applied topically, as it contains epigallocatechin-3-gallate (EGCG), a powerful molecule that prevents the disintegration of collagen and supplies photo-protective properties. Green tea also helps to repair existing UV damage on the skin.
Finally, we use three additional ingredients that promote additional benefits.
- Sodium hyaluronate (aka hyaluronic acid) and jojoba oil work to deeply hydrate the skin while simultaneously infusing the skin with anti-aging (plumping) properties. Jojoba seed oil (which is non-comedogenic) also provides long-lasting moisture, tames redness and irritation, and soothes skin.
- European Blueberries, our signature ingredient, impart the skin with vibrancy with their anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. Blueberries also have vaso-protective properties that help to reduce redness, making this ingredient ideal for rosacea-prone skin.
- Finally, vitamin E is an antioxidant that works synergistically with vitamin C to protect against damage from the sun and free radicals.
Use this serum twice a day every day, year-round. It is non-irritating, safe for all skin types and skin tones, and safe for nursing and pregnant women. This serum will not make your skin more photo-sensitive, so you can use it even during sunny weather.