Facial coverings are probably here to stay. Wearing them will typically lead to increased sweating, breakouts, redness, and irritation that can be as benign as a rash and as severe as dermatitis. Here are some tips to keep your skin calm and blemish-free during these stressful times.
- Mask sanitation is key. Wash your cloth mask daily in warm water with soap, and let it air dry. If you prefer to use disposable masks, use a new one every day.
- Minimize makeup under your mask. Specifically, if possible, avoid foundation, which will clog your pores in particular in situations involving sweat.
- Wash your face morning and evening with a soft, gentle cleanser, such as the Alchimie Forever Gentle Cream Cleanser. If you are wearing your mask eight straight hours per day, splash your face with some cool water during your lunch break if possible.
- Once to twice per week, exfoliate. Think of it as a “deep cleaning” for your face. Do not use products that are too harsh or abrasive, look for an exfoliator that is gentle and hydrating. Our Gentle Refining Scrub is the perfect choice.
- Once to twice per week, mask (the other kind of mask!). If your skin is red and angry, use a calming anti-redness mask such as our Kantic Brightening Moisture Mask. If your skin is breaking out, use a purifying clay mask (we don’t have such a mask yet, but we like the Skinceuticals Clarifying clay mask).
- Use a lightweight, anti-blemish, anti-inflammatory moisturizer morning and evening. Our Kantic Light Clarifying Cream is non-comedogenic and lightweight enough not to clog your pores, and packed with acne-fighting rosemary extract.
- If you are experiencing breakouts, do not pick at them –this will only make them worse. Be patient with your skin.
- No matter what you do, KISS – Keep It Simple and Soothing. Irritated skin does not like too many steps, or any harsh treatments, so keep your regimen disciplined, but short and simple during times of inflammation.